Monday, February 1, 2010

Medpor Microtia Repair

During these past months of learning about Atresia Microtia, spending time with JTC, meeting wonderful family's with children with hard of hearing and/or deaf, I was still wanting more information on other possible procedures for repairing August's ear.
One afternoon I checked my mail to find that my grandmother had sent me an article about a child that had exactly the same thing as August. Our friend Lois also saved us the same article. It was about a boy that had Artresia Microtia but had repaired it with a doctor at Cedars Sinai Hospital by the name of Dr. Reinisch. However, it was not done with the rib graft. It was done with what is called Medpor. This will allow August to have less surgeries, have an ear that looks more like an ear, have it done earlier in age, and not need to use his ribs.
I was so excited to read about this little boy. I picked up the phone and made an appointment with Dr. Reinisch.
After our appointment, I was sold. I spent the next days explaining the procedure to my husband. So that he could get a better understanding we decided to muster up enough money to go to a conference that was being held by the California Ear Institute in Palo Alto.
Dr. Roberson is the doctor that started this foundation and is an Atresia repair doctor. He and Dr. Reinisch were speaking at this convention along with Dr. Brent a rib graft doctor. Dr Reinisch has teamed up with Dr. Roberson on many surgeries and studies of using Medpor.
The conference allowed us to learn about each option that we had to choose from. We had all our questions answered and got to meet with each doctor privately. It was a great trip to Palo Alto.
When we were finished we were sure of what we were going to do to get August his ear repair. There was no doubt in our minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment