Sunday, February 7, 2010

CT Scan

In August 2009, August was two and a half years old. It was finally time for our family to find out if August was a good candidate for atresia repair. He was finally old enough to have a CT scan.
In October 2009, August had his scan. It was very traumatic for him. Also for me. He was so frightened by all the machines in the room and people in hospital cloths. We ended up having to give him anesthesia to get the scan completed. I was crying because he was yelling and crying for me. It just broke my heart. But after ten minutes they came and grabbed us and he was just waking up. It was so quick and he was just fine. He was very nauseous for a while after but we made it through.
A few weeks later I got an email from Dr. Roberson's office letting us know that on a scale of 1-10 August was an eight and a half to a nine. Which meant he was a perfect candidate for atresia repair. It also meant the higher the grade (1-10) the more a chance of success. With this repair, the chance of him hearing in the atresia ear are high.
It was the best news I had heard in a long time. I had waited for two and a half years to know exactly what we were facing and now it was there in front of me. I sobbed for about fifteen minutes.
I was sobbing because I was so happy for our little man but also because I now know that he will undergo major surgery's very soon. The reality was right in front of me. I started questioning whether we really needed to get it done now or not. I started questioning if we were doing the right thing for our son. Maybe the doctors were right in Denmark. Maybe we do need to wait until he is eighteen. Or maybe at least until he wants it done. Or maybe he would just be fine his entire life with only one working ear. I was torn!

No comments:

Post a Comment