Sunday, February 7, 2010

The BIG decision

Secretly, I was lost in my thoughts of what to do about our beautiful little man. I dont want to have him go through any surgery if he does not need it. So I was torn with having this good news.
August is so smart, healthy, athletic, busy, curious, loving, everything a little boy at his age should be. As his mother, I don't want anything to change: he needs to be who he is becoming. And if having either surgery does effect him negatively, I would feel to blame.
After pondering my thoughts for a while, I finally mentioned to my husband that I was having different thoughts of the surgery now. He was surprised but understood. He opened my eyes to all the reasons why we had done so much research in the first place.
And after asking August if he wanted the doctor to fix his ear to look like the other one and he said yes, I knew we needed to move forward.
I also started thinking about the man I met at the microtia repair doctors office. He was in his forty's and was just getting a microtia and atresia repair. He told me if he had the opportunity to fix his ear at August's age he would do it no questions asked.
So I followed up with both surgeons and scheduled an appointment for each surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment