Saturday, January 16, 2010

August early days of life

When a child is born as parents you expect a perfect little bundle. The bundle should have two hands, two legs with two feet, all five fingers and toes, two functioning eyes and ears, etc, etc. You are never prepared for any of these things to be wrong or missing.
When our little August was born we were expecting the same as all parents. He was born pre-mature but a healthy pre-mature weighing in at 5.6 pounds. He was ready to conquer the world at 34.4 weeks in the oven. He spent about three days in ICU and another two weeks in the hospital with me, his mommy. We were ready to move on and go home and get started with our new lives as a family.
But I will never forget the words that came out of my husbands mouth as the midwife placed him on my belly with his right side facing up. "Wow, he has a very small ear!" My reply was, "is there something wrong!" I couldn't see him in the same angle as my husband. I could only feel and it seemed not right to me.
While my husband and the doctor took our new baby boy to be taken away to be cleaned up and get warm, I was left alone to wonder if everything was okay.
After what felt like hours, which was truly about one hour, my husband came to take me to see our little guy. But before we left, he said, "he is so perfect and beautiful but there is something wrong." I felt my stomach turn as he said the words. He advised me that his right ear never formed on the outside. He did not know if he could hear or not from that side or what it meant. He just didn't have an ear on the right side. I didn't know what to think or feel. It just didn't make sense. I was sure that it was just something simple and we could fix it for him right away.
When I was finally joined with little August, he brought tears of joy to my eyes. He was the best thing I had ever laid eyes on. He was so beautiful just as my husband had said. But yes, he was missing his right ear and it too brought me to tears. I wanted answers now! Did I cause this to happen, was I already a bad mother and he hadn't even been in this world more than an hour or so. I was so devastated.
I can remember thinking, how he would get teased at school, will he be able to walk with the right balance, will he get his speech when he is supposed to, tons of things came to mind. So much worry! I just wanted answers!
We had a tough start with August, aside from his ear. He had pyloric stenosis and had surgery at three weeks old. He then developed a bad case of acid reflux until he was nine months old. We never slept. He couldn't sleep because lying down made him vomit and he would choke. It was very exhausting for all of us for about the first 4-5 months.
With all this going on it was hard to find time to research the small ear that August had. We were told that he did not have hearing in the ear while at the hospital for the two weeks after birth. We were also told that he did have perfect hearing in the left ear. With that, we were not to worry since he could at least hear from one ear.
I was not satisfied with that answer. I was determined to find out what this small ear was all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment